Thursday, February 4, 2010

MUSIC: "Ghost In This House"

With the Grammy Awards just this past weekend, it seems appropriately timed that the most winningest woman and tied for second place overall, with 27 statues in total, gets a ZONINO! today. While cleaning the apartment the other day, I popped in an old mixed CD recently and the incredibly heartbreaking and powerful ballad, "Ghost In This House", by the infinitely talented Alison Krauss, came streaming from the speakers.

Off her 1999 album, Forget About It, the Queen of Bluegrass sings of being a veritable ghost in her life. Feeling abandoned emotionally in her relationship, she sings, "I don't live in these rooms, I just rattle around." The metaphors are simple and beautiful, yet strike powerfully to the pain and sense of being lost in your own life. Krauss's unmistakable vocals also elevate the haunting and desperate feeling of the song.

Written by Hugh Prestwood ("A Song Remembers When" and "Hard Rock Bottom of Your Heart") and originally recorded by country band Shenandoah, my favorite lyrics include the ending of the second chorus:

"I'm just a whisper of smoke
I'm all that's left of two hearts on fire
That once burned out of control
You took my body and soul
I'm just a ghost in this house"


Alison Krauss is guaranteed to go down in music history. If you are not versed on her incredible catalogue, do yourself a favor and start with this one. It never fails to impress and is perfect for those grey and rainy days.

Sergio del Limonar

No comments:

Post a Comment