Saturday, August 1, 2009

MUSIC: Gary Allan Pt. 1

NOTE: This is the first in a special week-long series.

Every time I go on a road trip, I always get a little excited to actually play DJ and revisit the relatively recent past of listening to a whole CD and not being able to flip easily through a playlist with an infinite number of songs.
On a recent excursion, I rediscovered one of my favorite country singers, Gary Allan. Labeled as "California Country" by many in the music business, his version of country music rocks a little differently, and is, at times, on the grittier sounding side. Regardless, Allan's music speaks volumes to his talent as a performer and, at times, songwriter.

The first song I want to recommend for those new to Mr. Allan's music is off his 2003 album, See If I Care, called "Songs About Rain." This radio hit is about the desire to erase the memory of an old flame that is now married by listening to something happy. Alas, this unlucky guy must put up with sad songs "about rain." Classic tragic country by a master in tragic country songs.

Sergio del Limónar

No comments:

Post a Comment