Monday, June 1, 2009

MUSIC: "Seven Year Ache"

I was listening to my "Countrified" playlist this morning on random and, while I usually just blindly sing along to whatever comes on, I was struck by the opening lyrics to a song off Trisha Yearwood's 2001 album, "Inside Out." The song, "Seven Year Ache" was originally written and recorded by Rosanne Cash back in 1981 but, evidently, has been covered by Yearwood.

According to my computer, the song has been played several times over the past year and, according to my mind, I was familiar with the lyrics enough to know the chorus, so how I missed the genius of the opening verse before amazing to me. Prepare to have your mind blown:

"You look like you were just born tonight,
Face down in a memory but feeling alright."


I love the imagery this invokes and I'm glad Yearwood covered it. I also hope it gets covered again in the future so a new generation of country music fans can be blessed with this imaginative writing.

Sergio del Limónar

No comments:

Post a Comment