Saturday, June 27, 2009

MUSIC: Roadhouse Sun

My brother introduced me to the gravely-voiced country singer-songwriter Ryan Bingham when his 2007 album, Mescalito, was released. Bingham, I doubt, will ever have his day on the currently formatted pop-country radio stations because his sound harkens from a different era; stripped down, raw, often abstract lyrically, and sometimes with long instrumental breaks, this is quality old-school country music at it's finest.

Bingham has joined forces with his band, The Dead Horses, on his newest album, Roadhouse Sun, to continue his superior delivery of heart-wrenching lyrics about real country life. There are no teardrops on guitars or fast cars and freedom in this collection.

The entire disc is outstanding, but for beginners not sure of liking Bingham's style or voice, some good starting songs are "Rollin' Highway Blues," "Dylan's Hard Rain," and "Hey Hey Hurray." The slow-rocking "Wishing Well" is my current favorite. Bingham sings

"I've been wasting my time, don't need no more rain,
I've been gone so long I think the devil lost my name,
I took a little ride on a heart ache highway,
the loving from you honey keeps me moving on my way,
when I go astray."


This is what real country music should be about. Get this album, play it in the background, and get a lot of inquiries. You'll be so Zonino! you won't know what to do!

Sergio del Limónar

No comments:

Post a Comment