Friday, June 19, 2009

MOVIE: The International

All through out my life, any time my mother and I saw the same movie, most of the time one of the two of us ended up hating it. Usually it was me, since she deemed me a "movie snob," but occasionally it was her especially when she "didn't get it" which actually just reinforced me being the movie snob.

I recently saw the recently released to DVD film, The International, and thought it was pretty good. More over, I thought that my mom, who loves espionage and crime-thriller movies, would love it. I recommended it and she loved it!

The film follows Clive Owen's Interpol agent, Louis Salinger, as he investigates some strange financial dealings with one of the world's most powerful banks. Aided by New York City District Attorney, Eleanor Whitman, played by Naomi Watts, the two hop more countries than a contestant on "The Amazing Race" and get shot at an unhealthy amount. Also, the Guggenheim Museum suffers greatly in one spectacularly filmed scene.

The most intriguing part of the film is the undercurrent that war is not perpetuated by conflict or even aggression itself. The film makes the statement that rich countries with wealthy infrastructures and businesses, such as banks, can single-handedly alter the world's conflicts by who and how they support in the world. This last discussion point makes for some interesting debate when thinking about current battles being fought around the world and who is really benefiting from them.

Sergio del Limónar

No comments:

Post a Comment