Wednesday, November 11, 2009

WORD: Pogrom

I'm reading a fantastic book by Michael Chabon at the moment that will no doubt become a ZONINO! one day. Chabon is a genius with words and wordplay so I expect to find several gems of the etymologic sort whilst enjoying this novel.

Today I came across the noun "pogrom" which I had never encountered before. It means, according to the American Heritage Dictionary, "an organized, often officially encouraged, massacre or persecution of a minority group." The entry goes on to state that it most often refers to the persecution of Jewish peoples.

Unlike most of the other WORD entries, this is not one I would try to insert into my daily ramblings, but I feel its a word one should have shoved in the back drawer of one's brain for when smarty-pants writers like Chabon throw it out, you can keep pace.

Sergio del Limonar

No comments:

Post a Comment