Sunday, October 4, 2009

WORD: Emporium

According to the good people at Random House and their Dictionary, an emporium is a noun referring to "a place, town, or city of important commerce, especially a principle center of trade." I think this is one of those words that is more fun to use in other less-intended meanings.

For example, an article I was reading today described someone's intelligence as "an emporium of knowledge." I want to try and toss around some "emporiums" when I get the chance now!

I had a neighbor growing up who never seemed to throw anything away, her garage was an emporium of odds and ends.

Stuart's ex-girlfriend was manic; her head an emporium of emotions desperately in need of a sedative.


Okay, so mine need some work, but this is definitely a fun one to play with!

Sergio del Limónar

No comments:

Post a Comment