Thursday, October 22, 2009

MUSIC: Little Big Town's "Go Tell It On The Mountain" cover

I remember learning the traditional folk song "Go Tell It On The Mountain" in fourth grade when my class was attempting to collectively learn how to play the recorder. I'm not sure how I felt about the song then but I know I despised music class that year solely because of that little resin flute. Nevertheless, I'm reminded of those days every time I hear the song, usually around the holiday season, which, being mid-October, is fully upon us.

Hopefully, after a few listens to country quartet Little Big Town's cover of the tune, my memories will shift and I was involuntarily shiver when it comes on the speaker system next time I'm passing through the mall rotunda. LBT's version, built around the vocals of Karen Fairchild and the strong harmonies of the other band members, throws in just the right amount of drums to make the song rock but not enough tot destroy the natural driving nature of the song.

Recently rereleased as a single on iTunes (the first time was in 2006), I can only hope that this track makes it on an upcoming studio or Christmas album soon!

Sergio del Limónar

No comments:

Post a Comment