Tuesday, October 6, 2009

MUSIC: The Hard Way

I've been listening to one of my favorite British singers, James Hunter, quite a bit lately. By "lately" I mean a week ago when the shuffle mode on my iPod decided to play "Carina" from Hunter's 2008 album The Hard Way.

I love the bluesy and sad swing-like vibe that drifts throughout this song about basically begging someone to love you. The plucking strings, popping horns, whiney saxophone, and occasional swelling of the orchestra, coupled with Hunter's soulful and cracking vocals pleading "don't let me wait to long" make you feel as though you need Carina's love too. This is my most consistently favorite track off this album.

Other highlights include "Don't Do Me No Favors" and "She's Got A Way", which, with it's jazzy rhythm, has one of the most fun music videos of any of Hunter's singles. This is one of those records you could play in the corner of the room and by the third track people will be asking who the singer is. A throwback to the old blue-eyed soul music of the 1960's combined with some new-age R & B riffs, The Hard Way, is sure to be the ZONINO! of your party.

Buzzy

No comments:

Post a Comment