Thursday, October 1, 2009

MUSIC: Anjulie

I don't know much about Anjulie, to be honest. I know she is British* and that her self-titled debut album is amazing and on unhealthy rotation at both home and work. I learned the former piece of information from some article I read reviewing the recently released CD and the later from purchasing it on an optimistic whim.

This was the best optimistic whim I've had in awhile. You are definitely gambling when you go all in on an artist no one this side of the pond has heard of, with no air play, on a music label unknown to you. Actually, those might be the keys to finding a really great album, come to think of it!

With a sound that has hints of pop, jazz, and folk all mixed together, this is the album I imagine Duffy, Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, and Sade making, if they became one phenomenally talented being. Highlights for me include "Rain," about a misguided love, the toe-tapping "Addicted2Me," and "Colombia," which captures complete and total bliss; making you want to grab that one you love and hit the road, leaving it all behind for awhile.

The piano-driven and orchestrally-backed "Love Songs" throws it's sappy subject matter and infatuated feelings of first loves right under the bus, without giving in to cynicism. While all Anjulie's songs have insanely creative lyrics, this one is one of my favorites for it's simplicity and honesty.

If you buy one disc this fall for yourself, let it be this one. If you want to give the gift of music to anyone this who year, you will be touted as the one with much musical foresight for giving this one. Hopefully the rest of the world outside of Britain recognizes the talent of Anjulie.

Sergio del Limónar

* It has been brought to my attention by one of our own ZONINO! readers and confirmed by Wikipedia that Anjulie is actually Canadian and not from England. Born and raised right outside of Toronto it seems...

3 comments:

  1. She isn't from the UK, Anjulie is a pure bread Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I guess I "knew" even less about her than I thought! Thanks for bringing the dissemination of misinformation to my attention. I love Canadians!
    ~Sergio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a problem friend!

    ReplyDelete