Monday, September 14, 2009

MUSIC: "We Run This Town"

Back in my college days I went through a phase where I could not get enough of...wait for it...Jay-Z. Yes, "Izzo (H.O.V.A.)" was my ring tone and I always rushed the dance floor when I the DJ put on "Can I Get A..." but I eventually let the obsession fade. I occasionally indulge myself and crank the radio way up in my car when I hear a collaboration with Rihanna, Kanye West, Nas, or the dozen or so times he's gone into the studio with his wife, Beyoncé.

Recently, however, my infatuation - neurosis, really - was rekindled when I stumbled up the video for "We Run This Town" with aforementioned frequent musical partners Rihanna and Kanye West. The song, off Jay-Z's most recent album, The Blueprint 3, is fantastic, but the video is ever better. Directed by Anthony Mandler, the same guy who did Beyoncé's "Irreplaceable," Nelly Furtado's "Maneater," and pretty much all of Rihanna's hits, has created a scary-cool underground rebel world full of stylish thugs, gangstas, and revolutionaries. (Plus, I would do anything to join this gang if it meant I rock a pair of shades like the ones Rihanna has.)

Now, excuse me while I go dig out my Hard Knock Life album and reminisce with my old friend...

Buzzy

No comments:

Post a Comment