Saturday, September 19, 2009

MOVIE: The Hurt Locker


I can't say that I have ever had to look at someone in my life, let alone someone I work with, and say that my life depended on them and theirs on me. The heroes in The Hurt Locker do that every day.

This movie brought out so many emotions for me. I felt pride, hope, pain, devastation...it was an exhausting couple of hours. The story, based on probably true, every day events, follows a military bomb-disposal team as they go about their job. (Their job is getting rid of exploding devices!!! What do you do?) I found it incredible to think that while disposing these bombs, they are in a war zone and are also at risk of being shot; as if eliminating a bomb threat isn't stressful enough, add some bullets.

Guy Pearce place the leader of this particular team who dies as a result of the hazardous nature of the job. He is replaced by a new Sargent, played my Jeremy Renner, who I had never seen before but really enjoyed. Also making appearances worthy of note are Ralph Fiennes and Evangeline Lilly, as Renner's wife.

As the war in Iraq continues and gets seemingly little notice on this side of the world anymore, except by negative media outlets, it is good to remind ourselves of the horrors of daily life for some of the servicemen and women over there. Plus, it will make me think twice about complaining about my own job.

Buzzy

No comments:

Post a Comment