Saturday, January 30, 2010

BOOK: Franny and Zooey

With the recent passing of novelist J.D. Salinger, most obituaries and tributes dwell on his most famous work, The Catcher In The Rye. While I agree that this is an important book for many and definitely a piece of classic American literature, I thought I should pay tribute to Salinger with a ZONINO! of my favorite of his novels, Franny and Zooey.

The book, divided in two parts, one for each of the characters, tells the tale many of us can relate to - self-identity in our formational years as 20-somethings. Franny, who the first part is dedicated to, is in college and frustrated with the life around her. Her older brother, Zooey, namesake of the second part, tries to console and counsel his younger sister in his slightly more experienced worldview. The whole story takes place over the course of a couple days and, with a lot of wit, and an uncany ability to capture genuine sibling love, Salinger shows the concerns of the era - late 1950's - and the attitudes of it's young adults.

The book rang true for me on many levels when I first read it in college and I think it has a lot of themes that people can relate to today in our current social and politcal situation. This is not a slow read so I encourge you to take a chance on this (should be) classic by a fantastic author. R.I.P.

Buzzy

No comments:

Post a Comment