Friday, December 4, 2009

YOUTUBE: Minesweeper


As a kid I used to get an unhealthy amount of anxiety playing video games. Dual mode on the James Bond inspired "GoldenEye" gave me veritable heart attacks and "Mario Cart" wasn't much better. Basically any game with a timing aspect stresses me out to the extreme.

If I play any type of electronic game, I prefer to keep it to Solitaire or Pinball on my computer at work. Even the fairly tame Minesweeper is out of the question, although I have tried my hand at it enough in the past to be convinced victory is more or less a combination of luck and if the PC likes you rather than skill.

Either way, this (oldie but goodie) video from College Humor is classic. Poking fun at Hollywood's attempts to make cinematic versions of video games, they have come up with a mock-trailer for "Minesweeper: The Movie".

Satirizing such a simple game might seem difficult but tie it into the obvious war-flick genre and the melodramatic possibilities are ripe. In the discussing strategy, the situational "8 Box" comes up, to which the response is "8...God help us all."

I just wish playing these games was as much fun as watching this video!

Sergio del Limonar

No comments:

Post a Comment