Thursday, May 28, 2009

MUSIC: Defying Gravity

I've been a fan of Keith Urban ever since he began appearing on my radio dial years ago. I gained respect for him as a true artist when my brother gave me his "The Ranch" album from his days in a country band back in Australia. I still love that album but I think he finally topped it.

Urban's newest album, Defying Gravity, released in March of this year, brings his unique brand of music to a new level. His vocals are strong, healthy, and heartfelt. The lyrics (Urban wrote or co-wrote eight of the eleven tracks) and deep, creative, and inviting. The album is simply amazing; I expect this one to be on many lips come awards season.

Right now iTunes has the album on sale for $7.99, though it's worth the full price. If you're tentative and want to try a few tracks, my favorites are "If Ever I Could Love," "I'm In," and "Hit the Ground Runnin'," which prominently features Urban's signature growl and phenomenal guitar skills. While there is no title track on the album, the title is unquestionably appropriate.

Sergio del Limónar

No comments:

Post a Comment