Wednesday, April 29, 2009

TV: The West Wing

It's taken me almost a year but i have now finally finished all seven seasons of The West Wing. According to IMDB and the copyright on the first season, this Aaron Sorkin masterpiece began in 1999 and ended in 2006, although I could have cared less when it was actually on television. Horrible mistake! I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but I feel like I learned more about U.S. politics through this series than in either of the two civics classes I had in high school or the requisite political science course in college. (No offense to Mr. Rivkin in 9th grade; I loved watching episodes of "Law & Order" to learn about the court system!)

While you might not always agree with the political views and actions taken at various points, the fast pacing of the show, intelligent writing, and diversely intriguing characters will capture your attention and keep you routing for the collective executive team. This show has given me a newfound respect for the Office of the President, regardless of party, and made me realize there are people much better than I to run the country. Although, at times, I wish I too could walk around my work with the same degree of urgency and purpose that is fairly constant in every episode of "The West Wing." Sometimes I do...

Sergio del Limónar

No comments:

Post a Comment